Fun times in Thimphu

Thimphu Travel Blog

Day 2 was spent watching the last day of the Tshechu festival in the Tashichodzong. Translated means we saw the last day of a hella cool festival in one of the largest temples in Bhutan. The festival was amazing and was full of traditional dances and costumes. Apparently the dancers are in trances when they are performing which seemed pretty true, especially for the skeleton dance. This is where we spent all morning and a good portion of the afternoon. As the festival was nearing I headed off with Jordan's dad on a small path. We crossed a bridge and ended up in what could be considered a bar. It was full of tarps and Indian beer. We met some cool locals (one of whom looked like Elvis Presley) and were quickly offered weed and some Bhutanese women. We declined both and just enjoyed our beer before returning back into town.

Day 3 we went up and hiked up to a famous old monastery. The hike wasn't awful but since it was at 8,000 feet we were wheezing like Ted Kennedy trying to tie his shoes. I don't know why but for some reason the Bhutanese only build temples on the very top of the mountain which is beautiful but a pain in the ass. We got to tour through and see the 6th reincarnate of some famous person. I'm not great with details, but he's only about 10 years old and is treated like the "Golden Child." Then afternoon we went to a Takin reserve. Takins are animals indigenous to Bhutan and are absolutely retarded looking. They have the bodies of a cow, and head of a down-syndrome moose which may explain why they always have a sad look on their faces.

Vikram says:
You know - looking @ your travelblog I'm now suddenly so tempted to visit Bhutan myself. but I was looking @ the website and apparently you can't travel on your own but have to go through a tour operator...with each day costing you around 200US$. Did you go through any cheaper options? I'd love to see this country..your pix only reinforce waht I think about it. Cheers!
Posted on: Nov 04, 2006