Off to Sandakan

Sandakan Travel Blog

The next day we flew from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan on the island of Borneo.  We were picked up at the aiport and taken off to the Sepilok Jungle Resort.  Although it holds the name "resort" it's more of a hostel.  Motel 6 rooms look classy in comparison.  Anyways, we were staying directly next the the "Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center"  This is the largest Orang Utan sanctuary in the world and they have feedinds a couple times a day.  We went for the morning show and were very entertained by the number of Orang Utans that showed up.  Only downside was that the weather was hot and the copious amounts of obese folk near me smelled worse than the apes.

That afternoon we rode a city bus into Sandakan the city to exchange some cash and check the place out.  We took the public bus in which took about an hour but was worth the ride.  They were blasting Malaysian Rock and the driver was chain smoking.  I'm sure the baby directly behind him didn't mind.  In the city I ate at "Fat Cat Cakehouse" where they serve only the nicest looking cakes.  Downside being that even though they look nice, their frosting tastes like butter, but fluffier.  Then we returned to our place and booked a 2 day 1 night cruise down the Kinabatangan River.

photo by: canuck_downunder05