And the Vog lifted........

Oahu Travel Blog

Sunset at Ko Olina
I woke up in the morning to find that the vog had lifted almost completely and the sky was crystal clear blue.  There is still just a hint of it but you can barely tell.

I had a bit of a catostrophe when I got back to my hotel at the end of the day.  I downloaded all my pictures off my camera onto my MacBook Pro  and shortly thereafter it started to make a loud noise and then just died:o(  It won't start up at all now and I am afraid I lost all the pictures I took yesterday, such a total bummer.  Luckily I had my little MacBook with me also so I could work on some other things so I am not completely shut down.  I am going to take it into the Mac store today and see if they can do a quick fix but I am afraid I am out of luck.
Same sunset...but pink hues

But on a better note, Sunday was wonderful.  I started off the day by driving out to the other side of the island and making my way up the Koko Crater stairs.  The stairs are actually more than 1,000 railroad ties that staircase up the top of and then you can look straight down into the green crater floor of the volcano.  VERY cool.  The funniest thing about the painful climb up is that there is a local shooting range is not far away so the whole time you climb you hear gunfire in the background which kind of makes you want to duck and take cover like you are under attack.  Makes for a unique atmosphere I would say.   If you ever get the opportunity to climb Koko crater go early and bring tons of water.  It gets really hot really fast as there is no shade cover like most other trails on the island.  The view is amazing with a sweeping view of the east side of the island.

I had my packed lunch at the Pali Lookout off the 61.  You get a wide open view of Kane'ohe Bay and Mokapu and even the Ko'olau cliffs.  I found a place to shimmy up a rock and just take it all in.  About every 15 minutes a huge tour bus would pull up and a ton of people would cattle call to the lookout and take their picture just like Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) in Vacation in front of the Grand Canyon and then they all climb right back in the bus.  Kind of depressing watching people just check something off their list and move on to the next thing.  The beauty is always in really taking things in, or at least that is my opinion.  I've never understoood how people can come to Hawaii and never leave their hotel???  There are more beautiful sites here than you can imagine even if all you can do is drive around in your car.  Oh well, to each his own.

After lunch I went to Kapena Falls and watched some locals jump off what I thought was a pretty high cliff.  The Falls aren't much to look at as they really are only maybe 20 feet but they were jumping off at a point four times higher than that.  It was crazy.  After a few minutes a family came up and after a bit of encouragement the 10 year old boy jumped off.  He was terrified but did it anyway.  When he came up out of the water you could see the definition of pure joy on his face.  He was giggling and ran up and did it again, and again and again.  On my way back to the car I saw a couple homeless families living under the bridge.  Kind of sad but what you will see that if you spend time off the beaten path.

Next I headed back to the West Side and found this beach I read about south of Ko Olina.  The beach is named "Unnamed Beach" and it has a lava bench that creates some different looking waves.  So help me here.....if a beach is named Unnamed Beach does that mean it has a name or doesn't?  I mean really.....isn't "Unnamed" actually a name?? Wrap your head around that thought for a few minutes and you will end up needing a vacation :o)

Ended the day walking the lagoons and watching the sunset on some boulders where the lagoons meet the ocean.  Luckily I hadn't downloaded those pictures yet!  There was a sailboat probably doing a sunset cruise that was in the perfect place when the sun finally set.  The colors are so amazing here and there is nothing like it.  All in all a successful day on Oahu.
Oahu