Day 5

Nairobi Travel Blog

My lucky gecko.
Up at 6am again and ready to leave for school. As I was waiting for the matatu I was getting more nervous about my day - especially as the teacher who I sat with on Monday during tea break (who gave me a bread roll to eat) said something about bringing food to share with everyone. Worried about what to bring.

I arrived at the school and went directly to the first class. I didn't realise at this point that the lessons don't start until an hour and a half after the children arrive - so started drawing on the blackboard and getting the kids to read their alphabets etc.

Then the teacher arrived and I was assigned my special needs class and directed to my classroom. I sat the three children down and began to attempt teaching. After a while, the bell rang and the next kids (the most troublesome ones) came in.
My lucky gecko.

I tried to get them to settle down but they wouldn't. They didn't stay quiet or listen and I was getting close to tears.

Finally it was break time but the after the comment about bringing food to break/tea time I avoided going to the staff room by writing a letter.

Then my next class arrived and, being prepared for no response, wrote some words and pictures on the blackboard so they could be occupied in a way that didn't involve active teaching. The lesson went well and I soon learnt that the key was to get them to copy from the blackboard.

Soon it was lunch time and again I sat with the children to eat my lunch. I made paper flowers for a couple of the girls and that caught their imagination - soon everyone wanted one!

Then it was time for my last class, and they were fairly bearable despite being very tired (I was not used to late nights and early mornings).

Once school had finished, I went on my way to catch the matatu. I arrived in Lang'ata and went directly to the internet cafe and spent an hour emailing everyone. Only 60Ksh: less than 50p for one hour.

Arrived back at the house (which was empty as everyone was at the Masai market in town) and took a shower.

Everyone arrived later with John, who joked (scarily) that he had lost my mobile! He showed me how to top up my new Safaricom sim card and a few minutes later I was chatting away to people back in the UK - and running out of credit fast! Apparently calls to the UK - mobile or landline are very expensive!

After lots of wine, I went to bed. Woke up frequently during the night. However, felt better having called home.
photo by: easyjobrob