Day 13

Nairobi Travel Blog

Karaoke bar, Nairobi city centre
Up at 6am. Got a lift to school with Daniel. Arrived at school very hungry so I ate my chocolate bar.

At 9am, the pre-unit teacher came to my classroom and told me that I was not going to be teaching the little ones any more, just the ones later in the day. I assumed that the arrangement meant that everyday I would arrive at 7am, only to start teaching at 11:30. This means 4 1/2 hours of lesson planning or 4 1/2 hours wasted time.

Went to break and had chai. I talked to the other student teacher called Dorcas. She was doing a 150 hour work experience in order to gain a Certificate of Education (which is the next step before becoming a teacher.) Dorcas attended the university next door to the primary school, called Strathmore University. It was set up by the founder of the Opus Dei, Josemaría Escrivá in 1961.
Karaoke bar, Nairobi city centre

Dorcas and I chatted about how to get a degree in the UK and the teaching opportunities, grants, loans and so on. After break, Mrs. Munene came in and 'officially' introduced Dorcas and I to the staff. Then I went back to my classroom only to find that half of the work I had prepared for my next lesson had been erased from the blackboard. I unhappily wrote it all back up again and got the children to copy it down.

Lunch time came and went and it was finally time for the last lesson. It was a very successful afternoon when I managed to help a child improve his alphabet. He could recite the alphabet in order, but could not recognise the names of the letters when faced with the letters themselves. I managed to help him differentiate A from B and C.
Karaoke bar, Nairobi city centre

The day ended on a high note and I went home happy and feeling that I had achieved something. We all had dinner and then, as planned the week before, left to go to the karaoke bar.

Before John arrived to pick us up, we had been playing drinking games to get us in the mood for a night out! John arrived with Peter (my Nairobi guide) and we drove to the bar. I bought a round of Tuskers (only 100Ksh each) and we chose our first song - American Pie by Madonna. Eeeek! We didn't sound too hot at all, but it was fun and nobody seemed to mind how bad we were.

The music kept playing and the drinks were flowing and we were dancing more and more and having a great laugh. I was dancing my socks off and loving feeling like no-one cared how I danced - they didn't - no one does.
Karaoke bar, Nairobi city centre
The attitude to dancing in the UK is so different to that in Kenya. In Kenya you dance because the music makes you feel good and you want to move - you don't do it to impress people or show off. You do it because it's great. It makes you so happy.

Everyone was so friendly at the bar, saying karibu (welcome) and dancing with us. We were invited to a show by the Kenyan Theatre Company for free but sadly we were all working and could not make it. He really wanted us to come but instead settled for meeting us again at the karaoke bar because he thought we were good fun mzungus (white people). We stayed until around 2am and then headed off to Carnivore (after having sung a song that no-one knowledgeably put forward for us).

Nick drove us from the bar to Carnivore (as he was the most sober amongst us) and halfway there, there was a police check.
Karaoke bar, Nairobi city centre
Eppie was in the back of the jeep without a seatbelt so ducked down out of sight. John just told Nick to keep driving. However, he couldn't because someone was blocking the road. The policeman walked over and looked at something on the windscreen - the tax disc or something similar - and said it had expired. John said something in Swahili and the policeman directed us to drive past the barricade and wait. John just said 'drive', so we continued on - no problems.

We arrived at Carnivore but as there entrance fee was 300Ksh and there was only 2 hours partying left, we decided to go home. We said goodnight and went to sleep straight away.
There was a rock night on but we were getting peckish by this point and had hoped that there were some freebie leftovers. Sadly not.

Nairobi