Day 1

Nairobi Travel Blog

The bedroom at my house in Nairobi.
After months and months of saving, the time had arrived. I was leaving to go to Kenya for a two month teaching placement with Travellers Worldwide, and to do some travelling around the country afterwards.

The flight from Heathrow to Nairobi took off 30 minutes late. I sat on the plane for 8 hours and watched 'Collateral' and 'The Forgotten'.
I didn't sleep at all and was very uncomfotable. Even though I had the window seat I didn't see anything out of the window. It was dark.

I was met at Nairobi airport by John Muthee, the Travellers Worldwide representative who was to look after me for the next few months. He wasn't there initially but a nice Kenyan man offered to call him on the telephone number I had been given, and it turned out he was just around the corner.
The bedroom at my house in Nairobi.

John drove me to the house I would be staying at en route past the school I was to teach at for the next two months. When we arrived at the house he introduced me to Eppie (19) and Nick (18), who were staying with me in the house and Maria, the house lady. Maria made me a cup of hot Kenyan tea, while Eppie and Nick told me that they were doing a conservation placement. They were both really nice. The house was on a street called 'Maasai Estate' in a place called Langata, not far from Kibera (the largest slum in Eastern Africa). John told me that Eppie and Nick had been planning on climbing Mount Longonot the following day, and asked if I would like to join them. I jumped at the chance.

John took Eppie and Nick to work and I tried to get some sleep. I managed to sleep for about an hour but not much more than that.
The garden at my house in Nairobi.
The house was nice, but basic. No running water meant showers came from buckets of cold water, and the toilet had to be filled each time it needed flushing. The bathroom water came from a 126 litre tank that was shared between all the house residents. The kitchen cooking/cleaning/laundry water came from another 126 litre tank. These tanks were refilled once a week.

John picked me up at around 1:30 and took me into town. The temperature during the day reached around 28C, quite a shock coming from wintery England! During the walk around town, I met John's friend Peter, who took me to see some of the highlights of Nairobi. He took me to the Kenyan Archives which contains old examples of traditional shields, swords, works of art, sculptures and artifacts. We had to leave before seeing much because it was about to close, but it was a nice insight.
The water container - refilled once a week - bath/toilet water for 5 people.

I was then taken to meet the headmistress of Madaraka Primary School, Jane Munene. She was really nice, and she, her accountant colleague, John and I went to a restaurant called the Garage for nyama choma (roast meat- usually goat). It was nice and tasted very similar to lamb.

After this, John and I went shopping for food for the house and we drove home.

Nick and Eppie were already back and had a bottle of wine which we shared over a dinner. Dinner was goat stew, with a delicious dish called 'kienyeji' made from potatoes, pulses, beans and maize. After dinner, Eppie, Nick and I talked for a few hours, covering subjects from fox hunting to bees! They are both really nice and I knew I would get on well with them.

After our conversations, we went to bed. I had my first night sleeping in Africa! I woke up many times because of the cockerell next door, and the sound of the Masai warrior, who protected the estate, singing.

rgriffs says:
Unfortunate start hope it got better!
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008
The garden at my house in Nairobi.
The water container - refilled onc…
The water container - refilled on…
photo by: easyjobrob