Prague Trip - 2008 - Day One

Prague Travel Blog

So it is my first day in Prague. British has finally found my bag and got it to me in the morning. Not bad. My buddy Steve Larose and I are staying together for that first day in, but today I got my own room that will go for the rest of the week. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza. A nice remnant of the Cold War, but an alright hotel at that.

Steve and I, as usual spent the day trekking all over the city seeing the sites, drinking beer and shooting photos. We visited the Old Town Square, St Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, and countless alleys, shops and bars. Two highlights were eating in Old Town Square under the awnings in the center. We had classic Czech food and beer with an amazing view 360 degrees around us. Second we found a riverside pub that we drank and smoked in the open air just bellow Prague Castle.
Unbelievable.

We also had a great time shooting the gardens around St Vitus Cathedral. We have also begun working on our skills at shooting in HDR (High Dynamic Range) photograhy. It is difficult and time consuming since you have to bracket three shots with different exposure levels. The real hitch comes in that the camera cannot move between the three so everything is done on a tripod, even during the day. The shots are epic though and I will be posting soon (got to make you read first).

For dinner our friend Rick took Georges, Steve, Eric and I to dinner at Fish, a gourmet Czech whole fish restaraunt on the river just under Prague Castle. We ate outside with a couple great wines and flaming deserts. Nice

Footnote:

I forgot to include in my previous blog of the first day, that Prague was taken over by the Czech International Marathon.
Four thousand runners from all over the world ran over 20 kilometers finishing in the Old Town Square. The whole place was taken over with staging, LED walls, finish line balloons, etc. Steve and I were out shooting (of course) and got some great shots of the runners. It was difficult because we were about a hundred yards from the finish and it was packed. I also didn’t have the money to buy the telextender toob I wanted for my long throw lens (choice between that and the fisheye and I think you will be glad I chose the fisheye). At any rate, we also had front row seats to a runner completely collapse dead in front of us, needing ambulance and medical treatment. It was truly the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I also have HD video of the events, but editing is taking me a lot of time. Hopefully soon.
RobtheTraveler says:
No Jen, you're eyes are not acting funny. The new tool in my arsenal is a 10mm fisheye that is going to bow the hell out of many of my photos. Yes, I am addicted to it. This trip will have a lot of experimental photos so it may not be the best example of my work, but it will be fun. I am also shooting in a bracket of three exposure levels and HDR'ing them to make one image that can be heavily tone mapped to create different effects, ie a heightened fairy tale look or at other times a watercolor, etc. We will see.
Posted on: May 19, 2008
RobtheTraveler says:
My favorite beer is definitely the Kozel (Goat Man) dark. It is one of the most flavorful and mild dark beers I have ever had. I have a great story trying to figure out what it was from a waiter there (Goat Man can give you a hint of the lost in translation experience I had). Second to that would have to be the Budvar (or original Budweiser).
Posted on: May 17, 2008
TRE69 says:
love the pics rob...can't wait to see more!
Posted on: May 16, 2008
The agony of defeat
I think I am feeling faint and in …
I think I am feeling faint and in…
Prague