Civitavecchia, which means "ancient town"

Civitavecchia Travel Blog

Nothing better than this

We woke up early and went down and had the breakfast at the hotel. I had been a good stay; the hotel had lived up to my expectations. I had found it a bit overpriced but checking out the prises for the same room in another period revealed that it was an expensive weekend. We checked out and found ourselves sitting in the car with a useless map; but so what we still had holiday.

I wanted to find the coast and drive north; I had my goal set for Orbetello about 130 km north of Rome.  First goal was the city of Civitavecchia, which means "ancient town". Civitavecchia is a town and commune in the region of Latium. We drove all the way along the coast instead of staying on the motorway. The view was nice with low mountains to one side and water on the other.

The city centre was very crowded due to the town being a mayor harbour, but also due to road construction in the entire inner city. We left the inner city rather fast since it was totally blocked and went to a shopping mall in the northern outskirts of the city. We wanted to buy some lunch and just some Italian goodies with us home, which we managed both.

The fish section in the Supermarket