Day two: Cusco

Cusco Travel Blog

We met our friends who just flew in from New York and we took an early flight to Cusco. We stayed there for the night at Hostal Corihuasi. We had it reserved earlier. This was our second and last place we had reserved in advance. It was very close to the Plaza de Armas (every main square in Peru is called Plaza de Armas), and high up so we could see almost entire Cusco from the hostel.  We were greeted by very nice staff and a Coca tea. Supposed to make you feel better at high altitudes. Did not work for my boyfriend and my two friends, however I felt just fine. I think I was just very excited about the place. Cusco was just gorgeous! We bought a ticket that gets you into few historical places in Cusco. We did not use the whole package deal, however it was still worth paying the discounted price.

You can get that ticket package at any of the historical places (one of the many churches, museums, etc.) Don't forget your VALID student ID! Big discounts on many things with the student ID, but they do check the date.

Walking around the city, we saw a group of children with the cutest animals. We took some pictures with them of course expecting they will want some money from us. There was so many children, that we gave out all our change to them omitting one girl. She would follow us for about half a mile (literally) making a scene and at the end cussed at us in english. I guess they learned that, as they have to use it a lot! hehe.

We also looked around on how we can get to Aguas Calientes for the next day.

We knew there were two choices: Helicopter or the train. Helicopter was expensive and not flying at the dates we wanted! It was pain the butt to get the train ticket as the train station is open at weird hours and closes early. We were late, so we tried the agencies. They were trying to sell us the tickets but said  it's not guaranteed until morning that we will have the tickets, as they will have to wake up early morning to try to reserve it for us. This was ridiculous, because theywanted money in advance and we were not in a trustworhty mood. We decided to wake up early in the morning and take a chance. However we went to one of the internet cafes and found that you can actually buy the tickets online! This was great! We bought tickets both ways, however coming back from Aguas Calientes, we could only take the more expensive train, as the chaep one (backpacker) was already sold out.

shopping in Cusco
shopping in Cusco
Cusco Hostels review
Afordable and with beautiful views
Not far from the main square in the city: Plaza de Armas... although you will need to walk up very high up the street. Lots of climbing in the hostel … read entire review
Cusco