Day Four: Machu Picchu, Aguas Calientes and Cusco

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

 › entry 4 of 12 › view all entries

At 4:30 am we were already in line for the bus to MP. The busses start to leave at 5:30, and we were still not the first ones in line! Got a breakfast, as Peruvian women were selling sandwiches and hot tea. We were on one of the first busses up on the mountain.

Gate to MP opened at 6am. Of course I forgot my student ID, and had to pay double the amount!!! We enjoyed the tranquility of the mountain and took some pictures. It was great because there was still not a lot of people there. After about half an hour we haded to the end of the park for the gate to the Wayna Picchu. Try to be there early as the gate opens at 7am and they only let in 400 people daily. The hike was steep and somewhat difficult, especially that we were still in pain from yesterday's adventure! Hour and a half later we reached the peak of the mountain.

We were above the clouds and got glimpses of the area and MP. It was raining a bit, but so worth being there and literally looking down at earth from the sky! It was an undescribable feeling! Hike down was about the same lenght in time if not longer for the ground and the rocks were vry slippery from the rain. Once back down in MP, there were literally clusters of people everywhere!!! Totally different feeling, than when we were there almost alone with the nature and the mountains. It was really worth waking up so early!

Once we got back to Aguas Calientes, we took showers at our hotel for 10 soles per person as we were already signed out from there. After the showere we spotted a massage place right across the street from out hotel.

We took advantage of the Inca Massage. The wondows from the massage room were right on the street and it was annoying hearing the people and tourists on the street. However, about 10 minutes into he session rain started pouring! We were so lucky! There was nothing more relaxing than hearing the rain drops hitting the metal roof. It got quiet on the street too, as people ran away from the rain. For $20 nothing beat that moment!!! I fell asleep...

IN the afternoon we took a train back to Cusco. This time the better version, not the backpacker. After few seat rearrangements, all four of us got to sit toghether. Lucky for us, there was this Peruvian woman in labor (!!!) sitting next to us. Her nurse explained that she needed a ceasarian and the closest hospital was in Cusco.

They were not able to take the helicopter as it was too expensive for the natives. Poor woman! It literally hurt me seeing her in so much pain and discomfort.

Once we were closer to Cusco, all the lights in the trained turned off and we were asked not to take flash photography, as the trains often get mugged!!! This was great! hhaha. Fortunatelly we came out Ok without any incidents.

After about half an hour of searching for a hostel not so high up above the city, as we were sick of climbing, we found a pretty good and cheap hostel. The only problem was the smell. Everybody was smoking there! But it did not stop us from sleeping like babies that night...

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Machu Picchu
photo by: NazfromOz