Chivay food and afternoon hike

Chivay Travel Blog

cementary

Chivay was a great little town! You meet the locals, their food and culture.

When we drove in to the city, the guide took us to a restaurant where we ate buffet style. It was my first and I think last time tasting a guinea pig. Supposadly it's a dlicacy in Peru, however I just found it a turn off. I tried it, because it was one of the reasons why I was there: experience peruvian life full throttle! The meat was OK i guess, but just thinking that it once was a guinea pig (I used to have one as a pet when I was a kid) was simply disguisting. The other food was delicious and I couldn't have enough of it. All the exotic fruits! mmmm!

Unfotrunatelly, two of us (not me) got pretty sick the next day. I assumed it was traveler's diharrea, and I WAS prepared! I had the pills! Surprisingly nothing worked and our sick travellers were ready to go back to US after 2 days of suffering (I won't add details here.

local girls
) Thank God they got somewhat better later, and were ready to stay until the end of the trip.

While in Chivay, we took a hike to an old cementary, where people wer buried by the base of a rocky mountain. The bones were still hidden in caves, and many in the bushes surrounding the mountain. I almost stepped on them!!!! Yikes! It was kinda scary to see all the skulls and bones, but I was amazed, by how they just put people in these caves, layer by layer. On our way back, we saw a beautiful sun set while looking down at a valley. It was really amazing!

At night, out guide took us to a supper at this nice restaurant, where we got to experience local dancing. Very, very interesting and pretty good food too. We slept at Casa Andina Hotel.

trying Guinea Pig
trying Guinea Pig
Chivay Hotels & Accommodations review
beautiful little huts
Overall, this hotel looked gorgeous! The rooms were located in separated huts in a beautiful garden. At night however, it was a little scary. It was p… read entire review
Chivay