AsiaChinaNanning

How Much Is That Doggy In The Window?

Nanning Travel Blog

"Would you like your dog with rice or noodles Sir?" Nanning is not a touristy place but is famous for its dog dishes - that it dishes made of dog, so eating here was always going to be interesting.
In fact we managed to avoid dog and managed a good meal of beef, pork and some form of Asian veg; our main problem was with ordering the rice.  I later find out that the LP translation for boiled rice actually means fried rice (which I tell  them I don't want) so the waitress gets confused and brings us nothing rather than bring us the wrong dish.
We are actually relieved to arrive finally in China.  The bus is even more chaotic than normal; there is a heated exchange before we set off over seat allocation.  The Vietnamese border post is a shambles but we eventually get our passports stamped and walk over to the Chinese border post.
We clear the health check and the baggage search without any problems but at the passport check I am turned back for further questioning and spend an anxious 20 minutes answering questions while other immigration officers scrutinise my passport.   Julie, who is ahead of me in the queue and already in China, spends an equally anxious time wondering what to do if I don't appear.
Eventually it all seems to be Ok and they let me through.  Our coach has waited for us and though we have no Chinese money we are on our way to Nanning for the night.

Nanning