AsiaChinaBeijing

Heaven

Beijing Travel Blog

Temple of Heaven

The Temple of Heaven is the last of my sightseeing in Bejiing.  The park is easy to reach by underground from the hostel where we are staying which is a km or so north-east of the Forbidden City and only 2 minutes walk from the underground.  This is the new underground line built in time for the Olympics and it is brilliant and only 2Y per trip - no doubt expensive for locals but good value compared to transport prices in most countries.

The Temple of Heaven is a park and a temple which have separate entrance tickets.  The park is worth a visit in itself but I have come to see the temple so lash out on the full ticket.

The park seems to be a popular place for Chinese to enjoy recreational activities.

Carving the Peking duck
   The main one when I visit appears to be some form of group exercise to music using a small tennis bat and a heavy ball.  The skill is to be able to keep the ball and bat moving as if they are one and though it looks easy I see some novices undergoing instruction and realise that it takes some practise to be able to move so smoothly that the ball seems almost to stick to the bat.  A few of the instructors try to entice me to join in but I will leave this for next time!

We could not leave Bejiing without at least one Peking duck dinner so in the evening we head down to the area just East of the Forbidden City where there are several famous Peking Duck restaurants.  We have a short wait for a table but when our (half) duck arrives it is wheeled in and expertly carved with all the ceremony of a royal dinner.  Fantastic.

This is our last full day in China.  Tomorrow we catch a train to Hong Kong (actually to Kowloon, known as Jiulong in China).

I have really enjoyed our time here and it has been much easier to travel independently that I had expected, though a few words of Mandarin do come in handy.

Chinese activities in temple park