AsiaMacauMacau

The Gambler

Macau Travel Blog

Old church of St Paul

There are two things I already know about Macau.  The first is that it was a Portugese colony with an interesting European influenced culture, and the 2nd is that it is known as the Las Vegas of the East.  However, our main reason for visiting Macau is that it is a good place to pick up a cheap Air Asia flight to Kotu Kinabalu.

Macau is only an hour by boat from Hong Kong so arrive without much hassle, though like Hong Kong we need to go through immigation. So although it is technically a part of China it is , like Hong Kong,  really a separate country.  Although Macau has its own currency, HK dollars are accepted everywhere.

When we arrive we don't see the place at its best as it is raining heavily.  Later in the afternoon when the rain eases and we have a look around the main town and the Portugese influence is quickly apparent.

View from the fortress
   UNESCO have been busy here (they must be one of the busiest departments of the UN as UNESCO heritage sites seem to be everywhere!) and have designated about 20 buildings in the old town as a heritage trail.

In the evening we walk over to the casino strip and look in to see the tables.  Casinos are not my thing but the atmosphere is worth seeing and the floor show keeps us entertained for an hour or so.

We have another day here and head to the ajoining island of Taipa and from then on to the south of the island where thre is a town and a couple of beaches.  Here the contrast to Macau could not be greater as the town has kept the feel of an old fishing village yet is only 5 miles from some of the largest casinos in the world.

This is our last stop in "China".  Tomorrow we fly on to Sabah in Borneo, but I feel that I left China when we arrived in Kowloon.

I will start a new blog for the next few weeks that we plan to spend in Malaysia.

skippyed says:
Well Ive enjoyed my armchair travel through China and look forward to the next installment.. Malaysia!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2008