AsiaChinaQiaotou

Eye Of The Tiger

Qiaotou Travel Blog

Tiger Leaping Gorge

The Tiger Leaping Gorge walk is more like hiking at least as I know it.  The hike follows the north side of the gorge of the Jinsha river for about 14km and can be walked in about 7 hours.

I had read about the walk before we left Melbourne and knew that quite a few travellers had described it as one of the best things they had done in China, but Phil and Mike had not seemed that impressed so I was unsure of quite what to expect.

The weather is kind to us and the day is fine and clear (incredible for China, but this is the west and we are now at almost 2000m altitude).  The 1st part of the walk needs a little navigation, but there are many signs to the guest houses painted on the rocks so it is hard to go too far wrong.

Jade Dragon Snow Mt from TLG
  The first section is a path to a local village and is a steady climb and takes us about 1 1/2 hours.  At the Naxi guest house we rest for tea before the next stage which is a steep winding path of 24 or 28 bends depending on which map you read.  The highest point on the walk is here at about 2400m, the river is about 1000m below us and the views are fantastic.

The walk from now is a pleasant traverse gradually losing height until it meets the road at Tina's guest house.  Although I see how the track could be tricky after rain, in the dry it is relatively easy on a good path and not especially difficult or exposed.

We start at 8am to allow ourselves plenty of time and stop for an hour for lunch at the Tea Horse guest house.  Both the Naxi and Tea Horse look good places to stay.

At Tina's we flag down a mini-van and find a Chinese couple to share the fare back to Qiaotou.  The road has some large drops to the river and I have some serious concerns about the ability of our driver so am very thankful when we make it back to Jane's alive!

Waterfall at TLG