AsiaChinaLijiang

Backstreet's Back

Lijiang Travel Blog

Rooftops Lijiang

I really like Zhongdian and though there is not much you can see from the town it feels like it is a gateway to another world.  I had not really expected to get this far north in Yunnan, but to really experience the area we need to travel still further north towards Tibet and we don't have the time.  I will definitely try to come back here when the Tibet situation is more settled as the trip overland from here to Lhasa looks to be an incredible journey.

We have a flight from Kunming to Xian so need to be heading back south; our plan will be to spend time in Lijiang and possibly Dali.

Lijiang old town
  This time we have a quick bus trip to Lijiang and find a better place to stay than last time, a local guest house tucked away in the backstreets of the old town.

Our first plan is to book the overnight train that runs from Dali to Kunming but booking the train from Lijiang proves impossible.  We decide to take an overnight bus and spend the extra day in Lijiang as there is plenty to occupy us here and as we have been moving on a fair amount in the last week the rest is welcome.

We hire mountain bikes and cycle up the main valley from Lijiang to the village of Baisha and then on to the Jade peak monastary.  The road up to the monastary is steep but we manage to grind our way up using the lowest of the 18 gears.  Entrance to the monastary requires us to pay the 80Y "Lijiang heritage" fee on top of the normal entrance charge so we decline and enjoy the ride back down the hill to Baisha.

Back in the village I haggle for a Tibetan Singing bowl.  While I am busy Julie is caught by a local woman who wants to invite her into her house for tea and has a book full of written testimonies to show how many previous visitors have enjoyed it.

Riz7 says:
Lijiang is good but you don't need to spend much more than a day there to see the town and pick up a feel for the place. Baisha is a nice village but pretty touristy, we had fun because we hired bikes and cycled through the vilages. My advise is to spemd 1-2 days in Lijiang town area and then spend more time further north where you can avoid the Chinese tourists!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2008
Swarovskicrystal says:
How many days do u needa spend in Lijiang? I was thinking one day to see the old town is sufficient? Is Baisha really worth it? I'm a bit lost trying to get my plans together.... ur help is greatly appreciated.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
skippyed says:
I'm putting this one on my list :)
Posted on: May 27, 2008