Visiting Pearl Harbor on Veteran's Day

Pearl Harbor Travel Blog

Arizona Memorial

During my parent's visit, we happened to plan our trip to Pearl Harbor on Veteran's Day.  This was completely unplanned, but a very moving experience.

I lived in Pearl City, which overlooked Pearl Harbor so every day when I went to work I saw the Arizona Memorial from my car.  I worked on Schofield Barracks which also bombed during the December 7th attack.  Each day I was reminded of what had happened on this island so many years ago.

The Arizona Memorial is a very emotional experience.  While you are waiting for your ferry there is a lot to do.  You can shop at the gift shop or check out the historical displays.  When your group is called you watch a short film about the attack and then board your ferry.

While you are at the memorial, everything is very quiet and still.  There is a wall that lists the names of those who were killed, and the size of it is overwhelming.  When you look over the edge and see the ship below you, and the pools of oil that have bubbled to the surface you realize that the names on that wall belong to people who are buried below you; those who were unable to escape the sinking ship.

Perhaps because it was Veteran's Day, the most moving part of my experience was speaking with many of the veterans that were in attendance.  Some were there to honor those who served before them, but some where there to remember the people that served beside them.

Arizona Memorial
And nestle in those hills was my h…
And nestle in those hills was my …
Pearl Harbor