Mau'i Brah

Maui Travel Blog

Top of Haleakala "House of the Sun"

My friend Shelly teaches high school English in Honolulu, and this year the girls’ soccer team made it to the state playoffs.

I feel the need to admit I was a high school jock.  I love sports.  I played soccer.  So when Shelly suggested taking a couple days off from school and flying to Mau’i for the tournament, I was in.

The girls survived to the second round, but sadly were eliminated.  With an entire weekend in front of us, Shelly and I decided to take a couple adventures.  She has family that lives in Upcountry, and used to spend every summer there.  It was no surprise though that she had never done touristy things.  Shell is my favorite local, the one who sees everything for the first time with her crazy non-local friends.

Haleakala

We started off by driving up to the top of Hale’akalā.  I had been there before with my parents when I did the bike tour.  That time I saw the sunrise, but it is definitely different when you see it in the daylight.  For one, you can see.  Hale’akalā means “House of the Sun”.  In Hawaiin folklore, the depression at the summit of Haleakalā was home to the grandmother of the demigod Māui. According to the legend, Māui's grandmother helped him capture the sun and force it to slow its journey across the sky in order to lengthen the day. In modern times, Hale’akalā has become synonymous with the entire East Mau’i volcano.  It is pretty weird to be up there on a active, but not erputing volcano.

Top of Haleakala House of the Sun
Top of Haleakala "House of the Sun"
Shelly and I at the top