Ka'ena Point

Mokuleia Travel Blog

Off-roading at Ka'ena Point.

One thing I learned while living in Hawai'i, the lack of a roof on your vehicle is a MUST!  I cruised around the island in my VW Beetle Convertible, but Ted and Matt had Jeeps.  I love Jeeps.

A couple of us took an adventure out to Ka'ena Point one day.  We had heard it was a good spot to do some off-roading.  The day we went it POURED in the morning, so everything was nice and muddy!

Our adventure started off uneventful, until Ted decided to go all Indiana Jones on us and make his own trail.  He got stuck.  Try as they might, the 3 brains of Ted, Brian and Steve could not get the Jeep out of the mud.

Just when we thought we were done for, along came one Hawaiian in a BIG ASS TRUCK.  He chuckled a bit at our situation, rigged himself to the Jeep and we were on our way again!

You can only drive so far onto Ka’ena Point.

And they're stuck.
The majority of the land is Natural Area Reserve. You are able to get out and hike.  However, there were signs posted telling us to stay on the trail because of nesting albatross.  Also, some ancient Hawaiian folklore states that Kaʻena Point is the "jumping-off" point for souls leaving this world. So it would really be kapu to walk around and poke at things.

We actually saw a couple albatross flying in the sky.  I tried to snap pictures but I only got one good one.  I kept thinking about that movie “The Littles”, because the “plane” the take is an albatross.   The birds are really amazing to watch in the air.

All in all, we had a good day.  Capped off in a classic Hawaiian way, with a rainbow.

Off-roading at Kaena Point.
Off-roading at Ka'ena Point.
And theyre stuck.