Camping at Hau'ula

Hauula Travel Blog

Rope swing at our Hau'ula campsite.

After our first camping experience, being woken up by the police, we decided this time we would do it right and get permits.  We packed up our stuff and headed off.  Hau'ula is a rural community on the Windward side, near the North Shore.  So either way we went from Pearl City, it was taking us some time.

When we arrived we realized that this camping trip really would not be that "rough".  At least not like the last one.  There was a 7-Eleven across the street from the beach our permit was for.  We also realized that we were the only "haoles" at the campsite.  For those of you that have never been to Hawaii, that means we were non-local.

Matt was MUCH better at swinging!
  Anyway, we set up our stuff and went about exploring.

Matt and I came across and rope swing.  The swing would have been perfect if the ocean was 5 feet higher.  We could swing out over the ocean, but letting go would drop us into ankle-deep water.  Despite that we had a grand old time pretending to be Tarzan and Jane.

As the night went on, our fire got started and the alcohol started flowing.  Before we knew it, we were making friends with the locals that were camping and they were sharing tales of the mysterious things that went on in the rainforest.  One story that was told was about the collapse of Sacred Falls.

The local people believe in taking care of the 'aina (land).  This includes preservation, conservation and keeping the 'aina clean.  Now, one thing you need to know is that locals believe in legends.  And after spending two years in Hawai'i, I have to admit I waver on the subject, but I believe more often than not.

Sunrise the next morning.
  The story that was told to us is about Kamapua'a. Kamapua'a was a god that appeared in pig form.

On May 9, 1999 there was a rockslide at a popular attraction, Sacred Falls, which is near Hau'ula.  In total 8 people were killed including a 9 yr. old child.  The local man that was telling us the story said that prior to the collapse the area around Sacred Falls had become litter ridden.  Visitors to the site were not conscientious and left debris, walked along sacred lands, and seemed to disregard that certain things were kapu (forbidden) to do.  The story goes on that witnesses to the landslide on May 9th say they saw the image of Kamapua'a at the falls just before the collapse.  People believe that the god destroyed the falls to preserve the sacred 'aina.

Now I know how that sounds, and he could have been pulling our legs, but man did him seem serious.  He didn't even want to tell us the story at first.  I think the entire event is pretty sad.  People lost their lives and we lost a magnificent place to visit.  Aside from that, his story does make for a good campfire tale.

As his story ended, it was starting to get light outside.  We never got to sleep under the stars, but I did get beautiful shots of the sunrise.

Rope swing at our Hauula campsite.
Rope swing at our Hau'ula campsite.
Hauula