Munich Travel Blog

I arrived nice and early in Munich, to (once again) perfect weather! After meeting my friend at the hostel and dropping stuff off, we immediately jumped on a tram to Schloss Nymphenburg, one of the many castles built by King Ludwig. Although we were too tight to pay entry to the castle, we walked around the extensive grounds and that was beauty enough for us - it's truly amazing how it could just go on being achingly scenic for kilometre after kilometre, with placid lakes and over-sized swans everywhere waddling or paddling about. Seriously, the swans are massive, and I am not ashamed to admit to being just a tad scared of them. No way was I getting near enough to feed those puppies bread!

A good one hour of wandering brought us back to the road where we took the tram back into the city and swung past the Hofbrauhaus, one of the infamous beer halls in Munich, and well worth a visit! We didn't stay long though and walked through the city up to the Englischer Gartens for true luxury: a beer garden surrounded by beautiful parkland with warm sunny weather.

I was starving by this stage and, much to the amusement of the servers, ordered a pork knuckle - a huge joint of meat, basically. Because of the snickers, I was determined to finish the whole darn thing even if  I burst in the process, which was a close call.

Another lovely thing about Munich - they serve their beer in steins, massive mugs that sort of reminded me of the drinks you get with a super-sized McDonalds meal...but larger and, I'm sure, far more deadly. My friend and I proceeded to down 4 of these suckers each, by which time it was completely dark and we were completely drunk and thought it the best idea in the world to try and take the "shortcut" through the bushes to the road. A word of warning to Englischer Garten beer garden visitors - STICK TO THE PATHS. It's faster, safer and you're guaranteed not to get ugly green stains on your last pair of jeans.

Munich has quite a few other sights in the city centre, but the highlight for me was definitely the beer garden in the Englischer Garten. Well worth a visit with friends to relax on a sunny day.

photo by: AleksandraEa