Hamburg

Hamburg Travel Blog

OK so the day did not start off very well, with me being in the picture of bad health with a massive hang over. However, it got progressively better as I was able to huddle into a little ball on the train and moan quietly to myself, the whimpering covered by the rowdy shouting of a band of Hamburg football supporters - thank goodness for sport fans!

Pulling into Hamburg, we set off down the main street and the first stop was Saturn, land (or store) of electronic delights. Walking down the main street of Hamburg, there is obviously good shopping around but I was having difficulty putting one foot in front of another without the added challenge of trying to figure out if that colour dress actually matched with my skin tone.

Ambling down the road, we got to the town hall, an impressively ornate structure at the Rathaus. My favourite part of this place was the quiet little square at the back, with an ornate sea-related fountain as a centrepiece. There was absolutely no one around when I wandered in there, and the fountain is eerily beautiful.

Continuing on, we wandered around the little cafes and restaurants up to the Aussenalster canal, and there are a few cute cafes there which provide peaceful water-side views. We also took the U-Bahn down to the harbour, where lots of cool restaurants abound. Whilst there, the road was completely flooded due to the high tide, which was a bizarre thing to see in a city like Hamburg - absolute chaos!

Eventually, we finished our night at a friend's birthday party near the Reeperbahn, though I didn't actually get to set foot in the notorious area - I'll save that for next time I visit! For me, the effort of making it through the day had been too much, and I promptly passed out by 12am Cinderella-style (weak, but it's a self preservation technique).

Hamburg