Planet Chicago

Chicago Travel Blog

Adler Planetarium

I start off with not sure what to do. I sat in the Thompson Center, and tried to decide what to do. When I made my decision, I rode the train, then bus to Hyde Park. I walked around the University of Chicago campus, which does look a bit historical and peaceful. And kind of nice, even in the South Side. It was hot, and I decided not to follow the walking tour from a guidebook anymore.

I headed back to downtown, then to the museum area, where the Adler Planetarium was. I can remember coming to the Planetarium back in 2001, in my first real visit to Chicago, where I got to see the city for the first time. Before that, I would arrive in town, but go straight to my aunt's house, and stay there for almost the entire time.

Chicago skyline
I can recall being so dead tired, after an overnight bus ride from Pittsburgh, and sitting next to someone, who swished me.

Back to the present day, I went inside the Planetarium, hoping to see more of the place, and the show Cosmic Collisions. But it was not shown this day, so I bought a ticket for Mars Rock! instead. I did have a huge interest in astronomy when I was a kid, especially on the solar system. So this visit was like a trip back to my childhood.

I started off with the history of space travel, then the various missions to the moon, and see the Gemini spacecraft on display. There is an interesting solar system exhibit, plus history on skywatching, and the old astronomy tools on display. I did dress up as a student from the Middle Ages, wearing a robe, and sit at one of those desks.
Soldier Field
Some tourist thought I was some performer in period costume, and snapped a pic of me.

I did see the Mars Rock show at the Sky Theater, which turned out to be a bit of a letdown. It just wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. I left the Planetarium, and looked around the area. There was Lake Michigan, the Chicago skyline, and Soldier Field in the distance. I wanted to tour Soldier Field, but I figure by then, there would be no more. And man, does it look like a flying saucer!

I went into downtown, and met up with my sister and her boyfriend. It was only for a little while, then I headed back to her place alone, since I was kind of tired. I got back, and just relaxed for the rest of the night.

When my sister came back, she showed me the rooftop of her place, which had a nice view of the city and a stadium with lights on. I would leave Chicago the next day, and head into Iowa.

Gemini spacecraft
Gemini spacecraft
me dressed as a student during the…
me dressed as a student during th…
Chicago