Chicago Baseball

Chicago Travel Blog

Wrigley Field

I was not sure what to do, as I tend to have a hard time making up my mind. I have been to Chicago before, and have seen most of the main sights. Since this is mainly a baseball trip, this day will be about visiting the 2 stadiums in the Windy City.

I did get to visit my sister's workplace, and meet some of her co-workers. Then had lunch together. After that, I would head over to the North Side, to tour Wrigley Field.

The Cubs were not in town, so I would not be able to see a game there. Because of that, this will not be added to my list of ballparks visited, since I consider only attending games for that. But tours are nice way to see more than you would doing a normal game, but I don't consider them a must-do for every ballpark.

me sitting on the Cubs dugout

So I got there about 2 minutes late, since the Red Line train was running slow. But the tour guide was just going through the intro. Then we were shown around the ballpark.

I would get to see both clubhouses, sit in the bleachers, press boxes, suites, and both dugouts. We were told of the history of the place, not only for the Cubs, but the Bears also played football there for many years. As it turned out, Wrigley was not a good place for football, which is why the Bears had to get their own place. Overall, it was a good tour, and now, I really want to see a game there. Maybe next time.

And yes, the bleachers is where the visitor's home run ball gets thrown back into the field, one of the traditions there. As it turned out, we have "adopted" that same thing at the Phillies games.
water tower
Another thing, the bleachers outside the ballpark, where people can watch the game from the rooftops of their apartments. Now, they charge big money to sit there.

After the tour ended, I got to talk with a few of the ushers, who also hope to visit every MLB stadium. They have been to more than me, but it was fun talking about our quest.

I headed over to the Mag Mile on Michigan Ave, to linger for a little bit. There was the Water Tower, which survived the Great Fire of 1871. Then it was time for the main event, and I rode the Red Line to the South Side for the White Sox game.

Now let me start off by saying this: I know the ballpark is currently called US Cellular Field, but I hate that name, and will always refer to it as Comiskey Park.

I would see the huge structure, which commemorates the White Sox championship in 2005.
Comiskey Park
That was their first since the Black Sox scandal in 1919, when the team was accused for throwing the World Series. Then I walked to the parking lot, where I would see the White Sox All-Century team on the wall, which would include Frank Thomas, Carlton Fisk, and even "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.

I entered the place, and see that a different ticket is required for upper and lower levels. So you have one for the upper level, you can't go to the lower level at all. I was able to find my section, and then walked around the concourse. Some features would include the scoreboard (which I'll talk more about later), and the statues of great White Sox figures, starting with Charles Comiskey. I headed back to my seat, and the game has started.

The game was between the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians.
center field scoreboard
I did see some Indians fans at the game, and they would not be happy with what they saw. Gavin Floyd started the game, and Nick Swisher would hit 2 home runs in the game, including a grand slam. Jim Thome also hit one for the Sox, and the team jumped out to a 8-1 lead. Along the way, the Tribe chipped away, and had a rally going in the 9th inning. But they fell short, and the White Sox won 9-7. Very entertaining game!

The scoreboard in center field had fireworks go off, whenever the White Sox hit a home run and after every Sox victory. It was weird seeing it go off in the daylight. But very nice to see.

Overall, I enjoyed my time here at Comiskey, and it's not a bad place. Probably underrated and overlooked, because of the one in the North Side. This place was built in 1991, and missed the retro phase by 2 years. I would not mind returning here someday.

I had to head back as it was getting late. It's always great attending a baseball game. That would be 6 down!

view from the bleachers
Champions Plaza
Champions Plaza
me sitting on Champions Plaza
me sitting on Champions Plaza
White Sox championship (notice no …
White Sox championship (notice no…
White Sox All-Century team
fireworks after White Sox home run
fireworks after White Sox home run
Fundamentals
Fundamentals
fireworks (after White Sox win!)
fireworks (after White Sox win!)
outfield, with retired numbers of …
outfield, with retired numbers of…
me sitting by the field
me sitting by the field
Chicago Sights & Attractions review
Cheaper alternative in Chi-Town
This stadium tends to get overlooked, sitting in the South Side of Chicago, as its North Side counterpart tends to get all the glory as the Friendly C… read entire review
Chicago