Camp Twins

Minneapolis Travel Blog

new Twins ballpark under construction

I started off by walking around the Warehouse District in the morning. Pretty much a ghost town. I walked around and saw the new Twins ballpark under construction. It's interesting that it will be outdoors, which means playing baseball in frigid temperatures in April and September. Hope the fans can deal with this as well.

Next, I went to the Mall of America. I was hoping to see Camp Snoopy, but disappointed to learn that it has been replaced by Nickelodeon Universe. This place is the biggest mall in the world, and has an amusement park, that is entirely indoors. I thought about going on some rides, but I just ate, so I passed.

I walked around the shopping mall, which looked like any other mall. So nothing special there. One thing that I wanted to see was the home plate plaque from the old Metropolitan Stadium.

Welcome to Nickelodeon Universe
I had to stop by a bookstore to find out where exactly it was located. All I was told was that it was in the amusement park. So I went back there, and walked around, but still couldn't find it.

So I asked one of the workers where it was, and they told me, it was near the Spongebob ride. I went there, and finally found it. It was a metal plaque, that marked the spot where home plate was in Metropolitan Stadium, the previous home of the Twins and Vikings. This place was outdoors, so it meant sitting through games in subzero temperatures. As I mentioned earlier, the Twins will be moving back into that environment in a couple years. I looked like a fool at times, pretending to take some batting practice.

I also considered visiting where the Met used to be, the old home of the North Stars.

Metrodome
But I assume nothing is left from the old arena. I can remember watching the movie "Untamed Heart", and finding it odd that the people were at a North Stars game, way after the team already moved to Dallas.

I was about to leave the Mall, until I decided to visit Underwater Adventures aquarium. I went through the walkway, which was underwater. It turned out to be a huge disappointment. Walk through the walkway, and that's it! Next thing I know, I was at the gift shop. Clearly, a waste of time and money.

I left the Mall, and returned to the hostel for some rest. Then it was off to the Hubert H. Humphery Metrodome, for the ball game. I rode back into downtown, to the stadium. This would be my first indoor game that I've attended. I walked around the stadium, and seeing the different walkways to different levels of the place.

retired numbers by Twins

I entered, and looked around the place. This place reminded me of the old Veterans Stadium, the old cookie-cutter stadium, and felt like it as well. There were posters on the wall, of the players who had their numbers retired. Also, there was the Twins Hall of Fame, which has the great players and managers, like Kirby Puckett and Frank Viola. And the countdown of number of baseball games left in the Metrodome, which will take 2 years to get to zero.

It was odd watching a game indoors, and not so great. The most disappointing thing, was going to my seat, and finding it dirty. Even more so than at the outdoor ballparks. I had to clean it up myself. And a foul ball was hit right behind me, the closest I've ever come to one.

As for the game itself, the Minnesota Twins took on the Cleveland Indians.

me at Twins game
Nick Punto started things off with a solo home run in the 1st inning, and the Twins jump to a 2-0. In the top of the third, Kelly Shoppach hit a 2-run homer for the Indians, to tie the game. But Delmon Young answered back in the bottom half, with a 3-run shot, giving the Twins 5-2 lead. The Tribe would score 1 more run to come within 5-3, but the Twins would run away by scoring 7 unanswered runs, and win it 12-3.

After the game, I walked around the place, to look around more, until it was closing up. Then I exited the stadium, and walked to the river for the 4th of July fireworks. I got there with enough time, and tried to find a good spot. I thought about watching from the Stone Arch Bridge, but it was too crowded. So I walked along the river, pass a stage.

The fireworks started, and it was a bit odd to have no music. Regardless, it was great to watch, and a great way to close out my road trip. And sad as well, since this was the end!

I went back to the hostel, and had to start packing.

new Twins ballpark under construct…
new Twins ballpark under construc…
me at Twins game
new Twins ballpark (set to open 20…
new Twins ballpark (set to open 2…
Target Center