Vatican City

Vatican City Travel Blog

Some people from my hostel wanted to go to Vatican City, so I decided to tag along. Three of us – Ross the Canadian, Hwa-hyeon the Korean and Vivi the American headed to Vatican – The city inside the city.

Saint Peter’s was amazing. We first toured the cathedral, and then climbed to the top of the cupola. The 350 steps were easy after climbing the Palamidi in Greece. After that we went underground to see all of the tombs of the popes.

Saint Peters
Saint Peters

All of this took about three hours. We went out to lunch and had our first taste of true Italian pizza. We spent the afternoon in the Vatican museum which was exhausting! Their collection was unbelievable. I can’t really even begin to tell you how overwhelming and incredible it was to see all of the artwork there. My favorite section was the Roman sculpture collection. We also saw the famous ‘School of Athens’ painting. The tour of the museum ended with a tour of the Sistine Chapel. Unfortunately you can not take photos there.

C397b7c5f9bfe14e90bcc9b36559f8af

After the Vatican museum we were like zombies, I couldn’t hardly walk. Our guide book recommended a gelato place right by the Vatican, so we stopped and had a gelato. I had strawberry and it was by far the most incredible taste sensation. Especially since I was so tired and hot, the scoop of gelato was a piece of heaven. It ties seeing The Augustus of Prima Porta statue for the highlight of my day.

I’m keeping this brief, so enjoy all the pics, there are a LOT! (just for you Dad!)

D7016e49a581ad9fe7c3dc18d055aee4