Roadtrippin - Mycenae

Mycenae Travel Blog

Our second excursion was a road trip in our Classical Greece Class was through the Peloponnesus, exploring sites of ancient significance. I was very excited to go on another trip, only a week after returning from Delphi. I was excited to explore more of this incredible country, returning to a few sites I had already seen and experiencing some new ones.

We left Athens on Thursday the 26th. We had the same bus driver, Gorgios, who has become a valued member of our group. He is a remarkable bus driver; only a true professional could effectively talk on the cell phone and parallel park a huge bus while rolling your own cigarette. I love the bus rides, despite the fact that they make me feel like a tourist like everyone else, instead of a student actually living in the city. The bus rides have a sort of nostalgic comfort of all the family road trips my parents took us on when we were kids. Although the scenery is different, I still find myself listening to the same music –Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffet and Journey.

The First Stop was Mycenae and Tyrins.  We got a great tour of Bronze Age Greece - highlights were the Cyclopean Masonry and the Treasury of Atrius, Grave cirlce B and of course the Lion Gate!  Pics to come!

photo by: Fulla