Mykonos

Mykonos Travel Blog

cafe on the pier.
cafe on the pier.

You know when you see the pictures of scenic Greece, and it’s white squarish buildings with blue doors and shutters set against an even bluer sky and sea? That is Mykonos. It was surreal. So picturesque and perfect, it was almost too much to absorb. We took a bus around the island to our hotel. The hotel was a block away from the beach which is covered in umbrellas and chairs and nice restaurants right on the edge. The water was the lightest blue I’ve ever seen, with no waves. It was so serene and perfect, the water was literally gold flecked so it absolutely glistens magnificently in the sun, and it was so clear you could count the little minnows that swam around your feet. It was a like a natural pool, but so salty that you could float so easily. In a word, it was peaceful. When we arrived at the hotel we immediately threw on our suits and ran to the beach. Now I have a fabulous tan.

isnt is pretty?
isnt is pretty?

We swam for a couple of hours and then met the class in Mykonos town. The whitewashed buildings are almost blinding with the most vibrant pink bougainvilleas growing up the walls. The streets are narrow and nonsensical. They were originally constructed like this to confuse pirates, and now days they confuse tourists. This island is unfortunately really touristy, and is known as a party town because of its hopping bar scene on super paradise beach. Most of the girls on the trip went out a couple of nights and had a blast. For some reason I haven’t had much desire to go out mostly because by 9pm I am so tired all I want to do is sleep. I’m like the grandma on the trip, seriously, but I’m also older than most of the girls on the trip, and I might have gotten over the thrill of the European bar scene last summer in France.

by our hotel
by our hotel

Our class walked around the little town, and took a quiz (that was really hard!). We visited the local maritime museum. By the time class was over it was a little after 8pm, so some of us went to find a restaurant for dinner. We went to a cute little place, but all the places in Greece that I’ve seen so far are cute. They all really decorate nicely and pick a theme, even if the places are inexpensive they’re still really cute. This restaurant is a big landmark for me personally, because its where I said my first Greek sentence:

so you know i was actually there
so you know i was actually there

Σιγνωμη που έιναι οι τουαλεττες παρακαλώ; Signomi, pou ine e toilette parakalo? (Excuse me, where is the bathroom please?) I know, big deal right? Well it was hard for me so lay off!

Greek food has been really good so far, especially if you like olive oil. The best part is the slower pace at the tavernas and cafes. They don’t rush you, and wont bring you the bill till you ask for it. So going out to eat is a really relaxing, calm experience, instead of just getting food on the go. I still don’t know much about Greek cuisine, its hard when you’re still just learning the alphabet to decipher menus, so I’ve been going with the tried and true ‘close your eyes and point to something’ method, and so far so good.

typical architecture
typical architecture

A group of girls in my class went to a bar at one of the beaches that night. The rest of us hung out by the hotel, where I couldn’t even keep my eyes open for 20min, so it was yet another early night for me. Maybe this is part of the jetlag and I’ll get over it!

Well anyway, Mykonos is pretty sweet, I totally recommend it. The best part for me was experiencing a completely different architectural style than I’d ever seen before. The whole place is really beautiful.

V