Monemvasia

Monemvasia Travel Blog

the pier
the pier

Saturday night we arrived in Monemvasia. Cassie, Aubrey, Cameron and I went for dinner on the pier, it was so picturesque. Little tables are lined up right on the still water, where little fishing boats are tied up. Little restaurants string up freshly caught octopus in front of the restaurant. If you order it, they’ll cut off a leg and grill it up for you.

Liz – they have these things called ‘Milko’ at the kiosks that are crazy delicious chocolate milk drinks. I had one and thought of you and your nesquik. I miss driving you crazy with the apple bottom jeans song. Have fun listening to that while you’re driving my car. Please be careful and don’t let boys ride in it or else!

hungry?
hungry?

We watched the sunset over the water, it was a perfect very calm town, the only noise would be an occasional cheering for the Euro cup game that plays on TV in all the restaurants. We were in bed by 10pm, but unfortunately Cassie and I couldn’t figure out the air conditioning so we suffered all night in the heat. I couldn’t sleep. Worse than the heat were the bugs that came through the gaping hole in the window screen to devour us. I must have 50 new bites. I don’t know what kind of bugs they are, but the bites swell up into these painful welts. It’s awful. Cassie reacts particularly badly to them, she swells up really badly.

7faa9ef5d86b616ea40b130f1c5f18e3

We woke up and met the class for continental breakfast in the lobby. One of the rooms had been broken into in the night and her purse was stolen. She lost her credit cards, cash, camera and cell phone. She was really upset. Apparently the girls had gone out the night before and drank a bottle of wine each, and blacked out in the room and left the balcony door open. They were on the first floor. It was really unfortunate that this happened, but I can’t help but think they could have acted a little bit smarter.

another perfect evening
another perfect evening

Class was delayed because the professor had to take the girl to the police station to file a report. The police station was closed since it was a Sunday morning (seriously) and no one answered the emergency telephone line. When the officer finally arrived and filed the report he asked if the girl was a Christian, to see if she was telling the truth.

When we got that awful mess sorted out we went out to the Byzantine town on this island across from the mainland town. The city is hidden on the other side of the island, invisible from the mainland. It’s a secret town. It had been occupied under the Byzantine empire and later abandoned. It was rediscovered in the 20th century by a group of Byzantine Archeologists and enthusiasts who were amazed by its good condition. They restored the parts of it that had fallen into disrepair and opened it up again as a modern city. People live there now; new houses are constructed in the same style. The streets are very small, no cars are allowed so it’s completely authentic except for the techno music blaring from radios in gift shops. There is a lower city and an upper city, only the lower city is still inhabited. We hiked up by far the most slippery trail yet (I actually fell, I’ll admit it) to see the Byzantine Church with a unique octagonal plan. I was pumped to indulge my inner architecture addict but unfortunately it was closed. You think we could have checked that before hiking up and getting my hopes up. It was nice to sit outside on the steps and chat and enjoy the breeze with our professor before hiking down. Then we had lunch at a taberna in the Byzantine town before making our way back from the hidden town to the mainland and got back on the bus and drove to our next stop.

Monemvasia