Delos

Delos Travel Blog

On Friday we took a ferry to Delos. This island is the mythological birthplace of Apollo and Artemis, whose mother was tormented by a jealous Hera, who made it impossible for her to give birth anywhere. Eventually some other god took pity on her and raised up a new tiny little island, Delos for her to give birth upon. Apollo is the sun god, and Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, who once killed a guy who saw her bathing, so she’s a personal favorite. Even though ancient Greece is the foundation of Western Civilization, and therefore Patriarchy, they definitely embrace girl power.

the Aegean
the Aegean

Back in the day Delos had some temples, a sanctuary to Apollo and one to Zeus, it’s also where the Delian League originated. Today it is an uninhabited island, population grand total: 17. It has been converted to an outdoor museum, where visitors can wander around the entire archeological site, and there is a great museum with all the marbles that were discovered. There is not a single spot of shade on the entire island. There were a lot of Kouros statues, not surprising since there was a sanctuary to Apollo there. (LoFo knows what I’m talking about.)

the mythological birthplace of Apollo and Artemis
the ruins
the ruins

Also part of the archeological site is this tall hill with a giant staircase leading up it. I guess there used to be a temple to Zeus there back in the day, but nothing now. We decided to climb up this long steep mountain staircase to the top. ‘We’re only here once’ has become the group motto that motivates us to climb up things like this ‘Stairmaster 2000BCE’ as we now call it. The hike was intense, but the view from the top made it worth the effort. It was super windy, and had a panoramic view of the entire island and the sea. It was beautiful.

Stairmaster 2000BCE
Stairmaster 2000BCE

We made our way back down eventually in time for ferry. The ferry was full of German tourists. It was a pretty small boat and the ride back was rough to say the least. Now I understand how people get motion sickness. There were actual moments that I wondered if we going to capsize. I got used to it after awhile and started to enjoy it, like a ride at the fair.

When we got back home we spent the rest of the afternoon at our perfect beach, and had a perfect sunset dinner downtown. We took a group picture at the pier. I am getting so sick of group pictures. I have to deal with them all year in pi phi, and I get no rest! Basically we take the same picture on 14 different cameras. On this occasion while we were snapping away, a large Italian man came and posed with us and made his wife take a picture of him! They were yelling at us in Italian and joking around, enthusiastic to take a picture with 12 women I guess. I had squid for dinner, it was awesome. I ended up asleep early as usual, justifying that I had to wake up at 6am to go to Tinos the next morning.

Delos