Ancient Rome

Rome Travel Blog

My second day in Rome. Morning:

Started out at the Colosseum. Saw the arch of Constantine, which was magnificent. Wandered through the entire forum. Saw the house of Augustus. Other highlights include: Arches of Titus and Septimus Severus.  It was such a hot day that halfway through the forum I started getting really overwhelmed.

I wandered around and found the Theater of Marcellus, and spent several hours at the Capitoline Museum which was AWESOME!  This museum is loaded with marble, it has some of the really important iconic Roman works, along with really obscure and random works.  I had a great time there. Last semester I took a course on Roman Art and Architecture, and I saw so many of the works I’d studied. I think art history is the best major for someone who likes to travel.

Rome's marble quarry
Rome's marble quarry

After the museum I checked out the Column of Trajan and the markets of Trajan. I’d written a paper on this column, so it was great to see it in person, unfortunately I couldn’t go too close. I also saw the Forum of Augustus. I took the metro back to my stop and bought some new toothpaste at the pharmacy. It was another big day. Tomorrow I’m going to take it easier and have a cappuccino and do some writing. Can’t wait!

Once again, a very brief post, enjoy the pictures. (Soon to be more)

the inside of the Colosseum