In Memory Of Blencoe Falls

Queensland Travel Blog

Some faded photographs have stirred up memories from my past ... memories of a location which all too soon may be revisited only in my dreams.  The area of which I speak is Blencoe Falls, accessed by the Kirrama State Forest Road.  Built at a point in time devoid of complex earth-moving machinery, the road is bathed in an aura of a past generation - a relic of their prowess, sweat and blood.

Blencoe Falls was the site of my most exciting childhood outings ... posing with a Spiny Leaf Insect clinging to my leg ... gazing in awe at the thundering falls ... taking a dip in the cold creek water ... standing small beneath an ancient Rose Gum ... marvelling at the view from Tucker's Lookout and reading the inscriptions on the three monuments - not nearly so weathered back then!

Fortunately, my children had the opportunity to visit Blencoe Falls prior to the closure of the Kirrama State Forest Road in 2006.  What does the future hold for this road?  At the time of its construction, it was expected that as well as being used as a forestry road, it could also be a means of sharing with tourists the picturesque views of the Hinchinbrook Channel and Kennedy Valley.

Will these treasures be locked away forever, or can the road be saved?