Skaftafell National park

Skaftafell Travel Blog

Getting up early today, as we had a long day before us :) If I remember it right, we got up at 8am, which is very early for me! We had a great breakfast in the hotel. I am telling you, you can get everything! I highly recommend the pickled fish, it's beautiful! There is 2 sorts a natural and a red one. The red one wasn't great but the natural one is yummy! You can get it everywhere in Iceland in the hotels and supermarkets.

The drive to Skaftafell was amazing. It has taken us about 1 hour to get there but we have stopped a few times on our way as the landscape was just breathtaking. It's hard to describe it in words and even the photos don't do any justice. Skaftafell itself was abandoned! It was very strange to be at a place like this and no one around.

You normally expect it to be flooded with tourists but not in November. There are lots of maps in the vistor centre and the toilets are open (good to know)!

The weather was glorious, so we decided to go for a hike and there was a sign saying Svartifoss on it. We knew that foss is icelandic for waterfall, so we decided to go this way. It was a lovely hike, not too demanding. There were a couple of smaller waterfalls on the way (Hundafoss and Magnusarfoss) but in the end we got to Svartifoss. It is definitely worth the walk, it just looks beautiful! We rested for a while and then walked back towards the glacier. You can walk right up to the southern tip of Vatnajoekull, Europes largest glacier. You can't imagine how big it is by just looking at the bit of ice in front of you. It's amazing to look at. There's black sand all around this area and blocks broken of the glacier lying around. It is not advised to go onto the glacier without the proper gear and we didn't, even though we were tempted.

photo by: Vikram