Glacier lagoon

Jokulsarlon Travel Blog

It took a few tries to get the location on the map right and even now it's only an estimate because everything else I have found on the internet, didn't point me in the right direction. So please forgive me!

After our hike in Skaftafell we decided to drive up to Jokulsarlon. According to the map it was just around the corner. It turned out to be a 45 minute ride, not too bad. Obviously it started raining, we couldn't be lucky all day, I guess. There were some people around there as well, which surprised us :)

Jokulsarlon is at the south end of glacier Vatnajokull. It is a glacial lake, actually a number of lakes, as I have found out. In the summer time you can take boat tours on the lakes but not in November.

November is not the best time to travel to Iceland, I can't stress this enough ;) Anyway, even though it was raining and it was getting dark, it was an experience. This lace is magical! You could really stand there for hours looking at the icebergs floating by and the different colours and you will never get bored. If you have a clear day and the sun sets, you will have even more amazing colours ( I assume). We had a cloudy, rainy day but you could still see shades of pink inbetween the blue icebergs, absolutely amazing!

Jokulsarlon is only a stone throw away from the sea and it is definitely worth to wander over. You need to cross the ring road and then you are at the beach. There is black sand (very cool) and lots of ice scattered around. The icebergs and smaller ice blocks are floating out into the ocean and get washed onto the beach. An amazing view. If you are in Iceland, don't forget to visit Jokulsarlon, it will take your breath away!

photo by: maka77