Drving to our hotel

Kirkjubaejarklaustur Travel Blog

We arrived in Keflavik ok and our bags didn't get lost, so that's a good start. We stepped outside the airport and it was freezing cold! Good job we had packed out winter gear anyway :) There was a little snow around but not too bad, so hopefully we won't need chains. We collected our car, a VW Polo, lovely car...I was delighted and off we went. The snow got heavier around Reykjavik but still good to drive on the roads.

Iceland has one main road that goes all the way around the island and that was the road we were taking. After we passed Reykjavik I have noticed that the front window wipers don't work. Not great when the streets are snowy and soon the window was covered in muck and I couldn't see a thing. I ring AVIS to see what I could do and they told me to go to the next available garage!! Great! We didn't know where to go, eventually we got someone to tell us where to go and I'm telling you, it was a hard job! Not many people speak english in Iceland but we managed to find a garage. The mechanic didn't speak any english at all but couldn't help us and told us (in icelandic) to go somewhere else. We only understood some name and managed to find the place, haha. The mechanic there was really nice and fixed a fuse and didn't even charge us :) That was a great start. This whole endavour cost us about 2 hours and we were driving the rest of the way mainly in the dark.

It was an amazing drive nevertheless. There was hardly any cars on the road. We still had about a 2 hour ride before us and we have only met around 3 cars on the way.  It was such a peaceful drive. Needless to say, it was pitchblack and we couldn't see a thing. Oh, one more thing...we could only get one radiostation and they played the same songs over and over again!

Finally we got to Kirkjubaejarklaustur, or Klaustur as the locals say, and finding the hotel wasn't too difficult as it was the only hotel there. It's hotel Klaustur and Iceland Air hotel. They also have a restaurant which we used as there's not much around town. The only other place we have found was a petrol station with a fast food place, which I highly recommend! The most amazing fish and chips I have eaten!

The hotel has double or twin rooms. We have found out, that most rooms would be twin but when you ask, they give you a room where the beds are put together. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Obviously it wasn't very busy because not many people are crazy enough to travel to Iceland in November :)

After an amazing dinner we retired to our beds as we wanted to leave early tomorrow.

X_Drive says:
Are you sure you spelled "Kirkjubaejarklaustur" correctly? It somehow looks like its missing a letter or two or three. heehee :) (I wouldn't have even tried)
Posted on: Oct 26, 2006
Kirkjubaejarklaustur Hotels & Accommodations review
We were recommended this hotel by a member form the Lonely Planet Forum and we got a room there for 2 night for around €80 per night. Normally the r… read entire review
photo by: eefab