A Whale of a day!

Port Elliot Travel Blog

Today we went whale watching.

Over the last 2 weekends, our future son in law, Rick has gone surfing. Our daughter Sarah has also gone along to watch.  The last 2 weekends, Sarah has been able to get some fantastic photographs of the visiting whales.

They have either been at Middleton Beach which is where most of the surfers go, or at the next beach which is Bashams Beach. Sometimes they are further around the coast at the Bluff.  The Bluff used to be a whaling port.  So people will drive around the coast, Middleton, Bashams, Port Elliot, Victor Harbour and the Bluff, just to get a glimpse of the whales.

Rick went surfing today so Sarah contacted us at about 12pm to say that the whales were at Middleton Beach but not in as close as the last 2 weekends.

Sarah also said the sky was blue and the sun was shining.  We said were were about to leave home but because of the distance and a couple of other things we had to do on the way, it would be at least 2.30pm before we could get there.

While driving through the city, it was pouring with rain. At about 1.30pm Sarah contacted us again to say that they had to leave as they wanted to go to a football match. Also the sky had thick grey clouds and it was pouring with rain. Yay

We luckily headed straight to Bashams Beach and the whales were proberbly best seen from there.  We could also see the surfers over at Middleton Beach.  Anyway, not sure how many whales there were but at least 5/6.  Trying to get a photo was not easy. They were'nt being very cooperative. I did my best and got a few ok photos but some you have to search to spot the whale.

Looking towards Middleton Beach
I had 2 different cameras and my mobile/cell phone, trying to get a good photo!

Just as the rain started to pour again, we had gotten back into the car.  We drove around to Port Elliot and looked back at where we had just come from. We could definately just spot one of the whales.

Oh well. It was still a lovely day, no matter what, to be able to see the whales is always amazing!

While driving home, I took a few sunset photos too. The car was moving so they aren't the best but I love the colours. A couple of them look like there is fire in the background but it isn't.

reikunboy says:
Its so hard to get good pics of the whales isn't it. When I went on a whale watching cruise my pics weren't vey good either
Posted on: Aug 30, 2009