AsiaIndiaSikri

The old city and the center of the Indian Islam

Sikri Travel Blog

The old city

We took a day trip from Agra to Sikri (can be arranged easily in every hotel in Agra). The payment for the driver and taxi was a fixed amount (a few tens of rupis) and 3 visits to craft shops. This is a common thing in India and especially in Agra and New Delhi. Sometimes the ride is for free, as long as you go to some craft shops. The driver gets some money for bringing you to the shop, and most of the times he makes more money then you will pay him for the ride, so he is happy. You need to pretend to wonder in the shop, but 10 minutes after you can run away (to the next shop in the queue).

Anyway, we took the taxi to Sikri.

The old city
It's something like an hour and a half ride, and on the way you can see the bloody people who captured bears and put them as a road show on the sides of the road. The bears are from different areas of india, and they suffer from the heat in this area (it was a 45 degrees celsius on that day). I didn't take a picture because I was really angry at them.

We got to Sikri, which is a beautiful old city. The architecture is amazing, and I have to admit the king lived really good there!

After that we walked next door to the replica temple of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. For me, israeli jew, it's the only chance I can get for seeing something which resembles Mecca, so I was very excited over that (actually that was the purpose of the whole trip to Sikri).

Inside the temple we walked around, it was really hot, and you walk barefoot, but they arranged rugs on the trails, and they put water on them to cool them off, so it feels good.

The replica of the mosque in Mecca
Also all the tombs and rooms around the walls of the temple are in the shade so it feels real nice there.

The trip was taken on Friday which is the sacred day for the muslim. As an Israeli, I know it, and so we waited outside of the praying area for the praying to end. What we didn't expect is that the people who got out of the mosque will get angry at us for violating their sacred place because we wore shorts. They started to curse us and shout at us, and we told them we respect their religion and we will not go into the mosque dressed like that and we left the place. On the way out some of them followed us and cursed us saying - "Fucking Europeans, go back to your countries" and things like that. In my heart I was smiling because I was happy they didn't find out we were 3 israelis and 1 american girl. I don't want to think what would have happend if they knew the truth. 300 of them, 4 of us... hmmm... :)

And so we left and went back to Agra, and caught the evening express train to New Delhi.

one of the tombs in the mosque
one of the tombs in the mosque
the beautiful arabic art of windows
the beautiful arabic art of windows
the pool in the middle of the mosq…
the pool in the middle of the mos…
Sikri