In the Nation's Capitol

Washington Travel Blog

US Capitol

Today, I would be visiting the Capitol building, and later, go to Baltimore to visit Camden Yards.

Getting ready for the day, I went to eat breakfast. While eating, I would be joined by a couple from Cincinnati, who I got to know better. After that, it was off to the Capitol.

It was raining for a little bit, but it would clear up later on. I would have to walk in the rain, when walking to the Metro stop from the hostel, and from the Metro stop to standing in line near the Capitol.

The line was really long, with a few school groups in it. And I would see more around the area as well. I wonder if people actually camped out the night before. :) The line did move fast, and I only waited for 30 minutes to get my ticket. The ticket gave us a time of the tour, and mine was at 12:30.

Surrender of Lord Cornwallis
So I would kill the time by walking around.

I was going to walk around Foggy Bottom, where George Washington University was located. But as it turned out, only 1 transaction per credit card is allowed at the Metro vending machines. With the amount of time spent calling and figuring this out, I just stayed in the Mall area. So I went to the National Museum of Natural History.

I used to go to this museum a lot when I was younger. Whenever our family would took a day trip to DC, I would always want to go to this place. I can remember seeing the huge elephant statue, greeting visitors as they enter the building. I would do a quick walkthrough, seeing some of the fossils and the section that focused on Africa, which was very interesting. I would stop the museum cafe, as I always loved eating at the food at the Smithsonian museums. But I had no time, so I had to pass.

I left the museum, and headed to the Capitol. I would join with a school group, from Canton, Ohio, as I talked with one of the chaperones. When we had to go through security, I learned that food was not allowed at all. Even stored in bags. I had an apple in a container, and had to go outside to dispose it. Hating to see it go to waste, I ate as much of the apple as I can, and kept my eye on the line. I did eat most of it, then threw out what little was left. Then I went back inside, and caught up with the group.

We were given headsets to wear, so we could hear the guide over the crowd noise. We entered the Capitol, and no surprise it was crowded. The guide showed us the Rotunda, which had the dome and some art work. Then to the National Statuary Hall, room of statues. And finish in the Crypt, which has exhibits and the gift shop. I left the building, and went back to the hostel to rest up for the upcoming baseball part.

photo by: b93sp