Arrival into Washington DC

Washington Travel Blog

Washington Monument

The trip to Washington DC has come. I have been there many times before, and decided to take a weekend trip after working so much. Also, I planned a day trip to Baltimore to visit Camden Yards, as well as Mount Vernon. Plus this would be the first trip that I would be using a digital camera, so I would be experimenting along the way.

I left Philly later than planned, and took the Greyhound bus to DC. Once I arrived, I checked into the hostel. Then I went out to the Mall area. Seeing that there are school groups, I can see that this will be one crowded weekend.

Since it was around 5 PM, I would have only time for one attraction, the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. I had to go through security, then took a tour of the place where our money is made. Literally. Photography was not allowed, so no pictures of the place. The tour was very enjoyable.

After the tour, I walked around the Mall, looking at the Monument and Capitol building in the distance. I can remember coming here when I was kid, when my parents would take me here.

I walked around the downtown and Chinatown area. Along the way, I visited the Law Enforcement Memorial, dedicated to those killed in the line of duty. I walked around the place, seeing the pictures of people who have served and died. It was very moving.

I would also go inside the Grand Hyatt, which brought back memories of my previous visits to DC. The courtyard area looked really nice, and I can remember staying there when I came with my family in 1993. I would go there for classes when I attended conferences in the hotel, and the now demolished Washington Convention Center, across the street.

I headed back to the hostel, ate some dinner that was packed, and got to meet some of my roommates for the day. The HI hostel seemed nice, but noisy with a school group staying there as well. I relaxed for the rest of the night, and went to bed early.

halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog Walter!
missandrea81 says:
Congratulations on your feature blog!!
gingerbatik says: