Let's go snorkel!

Hawaii Travel Blog

Welcome to my beach!

On our last full day on the Big Island we decided to go snorkeling. I had never done that before, and it was a weird feeling at first. I felt claustrophobic, which is weird because I've never been one to suffer through that. So it took me all of 10 minutes to get the hang of it. But once I did, I was all over the place! The marine life is so beautiful! Yes, I've seen National Geographic and the Discovery channel, but nothing compares to you seeing it in person! I mean, I wasn't deep sea diving, but it was wonderful regardless! I swam with a sea turtle and got to see Nemo and his friends. It was special.

We rented a board with a window in the middle so that my niece could see the fishes as well, since she was little and didn't know how to swim well, yet. My mom used this as well because she panics quickly.

Look at the turtle!
Not to say that she didn't try to snorkel. She did, she just didn't take to it. We were there all day! My sister Yvette and nephew Nathan, they were in the water more then we were combined. There was a snack shack next to the beach which is where we had our lunch. The food was delicious. I wish I could remember the name of the place. They served a burger with fried flower petals. I thought it was for show, but then I realized that it was also part of the entrée. I tried them. I totally loved them! They were great! I don't know the name of the flower it was either, but I do know that it was purple which is my favorite color!

When we got back to the beach to snorkel again, there was a turtle at the shallow end which is the walkway into the ocean.

I saw great things!
He was there to meet and greet us. Not really, but I looked at it that way. After an hour of snorkeling, I got out of the water and started walking on the rocks, trying to be careful not to slip and fall.  I stopped to take pictures of the scenery and that is when I noticed a sea turtle a few feet away from my feet!  I took a picture of it, and then i noticed it walking slowly towards my feet. I thought it was going to try to bite my toe or something, so I stepped away fast and ended up stepping on a rock that wasn't even, so I hurt myself a tad bit. I carried a bruise on my shin for a week or so, as well as some scratches.

After maybe being there another hour, we finally decided to head back to the hotel.  When we got there, we headed straight to the pool!  We were relaxing until after sunset since it would be our last night there.

So when we got back to the room we were sun weary!  And we learned an important lesson since we were all sunburned. We learned to reapply sunscreen more then twice! My shoulders and back were in pain!  But nothing compared to my sister! I have a picture of how bad she was burned, but she would kill me if I posted it on here! So I will not do that to her But I will describe her burn! It was from her back to the back of her legs! RED! Like a lobster! She was in so much pain she crying! And I was laughing! But I was burnt as well, so I figured laughing at her was alright. I was glad I didn't get as bad as she did. To this day when I see that picture I laugh my head off and remind her. As I write this, I have a huge smile on my face just remembering it!

The next day we left our paradise. Nothing to write about that, but the sad feeling of leaving the island with great memories to help us cope. GOOD TIMES!

hang loose!
hang loose!
Shes really standing on rocks.
She's really standing on rocks.
Yvette and Nate (sister and nephew)
Yvette and Nate (sister and nephew)
My mom not paying attn to the sign…
My mom not paying attn to the sig…
Hawaii