Where are the stones in Stone Park?

Sioux City Travel Blog

Big Sioux River

I went to the Stone State Park because it was such a beautiful day and I spent most of it sitting on my butt.  The park sits on the loess hills of Iowa.  I parked up at the overlook of the Big Sioux River and hiked the trail that started there.  The trail went downhill most of the way, meaning I'd be huffing and puffing to get back.  Suddenly there was a fork in the trail.  Which way to go?  Hmmm, how about the right.  And then there was no trail.  I hate when that happens - the trail just spits you out near a road and you can't see another trail anywhere.

Looking up behind me I noticed a steep leaf-covered ravine, similar to the trail in Ponca St Pk.  So that must be the trail.  Up I went- man that was steep!  Almost straight up!  I was pooped when I got to the top.

my deer trail
  I followed the little trail and it forked again.  I decided that this wasn't really a hiking trail - it must be a deer trail.  Now what?  I saw the trail continue up a little grass covered hill, so I followed that.  Yay!  There's the road!  I'm not lost!

According to my map I took an incredibly steep short cut and completely missed my other trail.  Instead I decided to hike down to the lake, only I didn't realize it was all downhill - that means it will be all uphill to get back.  The lake was great - I would say peaceful, but the geese were honking and fighting so it wasn't very quiet.  I saw two geese with a bunch of little baby geese across the lake and a couple other pairs of geese.

On the way back up the hill I stopped to rest and found myself looking at all the rocks - the only rocks I saw in the park.  I read the rocks in the park had fossils, so I looked closer - sure enough!  I found shells in the limestone.  Cool!  Most of the park sits on the loess hills, but the trail down to the lake drops completely through the loess overlying the bedrock below.  I ended up not too far from my truck, so I walked back by the road since there was no hiking trail back.  I finished the scenic loop drive and called it a day.

relaxing in the breeze
loess hill
loess hill
scenic loop
scenic loop
lots of bikers (very hilly park)
lots of bikers (very hilly park)
lake in the loess hills