day 2 and 3

Athens Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

day 2
7th may
arrived at 7:20 in athens and got a bus from the airport to stignama square.had to buy a map to find our way to the hotel then ended up spending half an hour trying to work out which way the map went. there were lots of dogs lying around there seems to be everywhere.
walked around for awhile found big markets in one street with fresh fruit and vegies and spices.they smelt awesome. finally found hotel mind you its still only 9:30 they let us check in early . the life has holes which doors appear in and you push them to open and get out.we are in room 402 4th floor the 7th floor has a restaurant and bar very small but with a view of the acropolis. we both had showers cos we stunk(thought it was the room at first then releaised it was us.then we went wandering and found lots of touristy market heaps of beading shops. a random man working in them gave us a 1 euro cent and said it was a lucky penny. some guy asked neen to dance ? no music it was just a lane way made us wonder if dance was something else in greek lol. we took a look at hadrians arch and navigated from there to the acropolison top of the hill. there are heaps of different ruins up there a theatre the panthenon which has lots of pillars has scaffolding alll over it which kind of ruins the effect. the ground is really slippery as all the rocks are marble. the view of the city was really good from there heaps of buildings in ervery direction. we walked back through the plaka district and had a coffee in a coffee shop it cost 3 :60 euro thats nearly 7 austr . the guy tried to chat stace up so we got it cheaper tho. we walked through the markets again got a kilo of strawberries for 1.49 euro and they were big and nice, bread for 0.80 and half a kilo of fetta 3. realised shops shut early here. spent the evening on the 7th floor crazy restaurant person yelled at some guys for not speaking english. we were tryin to wait for it to get dark to see the acropolis lit up but at 8:30 it still wasnt dark and we were stuffed so we had a glass of red wine (which came in a small tumbler glass) and went to bed. the greek alphabet is realy weird we cant read anything let alone pronounce it lol

Today we woke up at 7am and went to level 7 for breakfast. We ate heaps of bread/toast and cheese, devon like meat and eggs. There were funny spice biscuits, cereal and apricots as well. After breakfast we walked to the Roman Agoras. The sun came out and it warmed up nicely. The ruins in the Agora were awesome - alot better then the Acropolis as there was no scaffolding. We spent 2 hours walking around them. After this we went to the changing of the guards at parliment house. The guys wore funny shoes and walked really strange! There were people handing out pigeon seed and taking photos of tourists with pigeons. It pooped on Stace (she wasn't impressed but it was funny!). After this we walked through the botanical gardens to the temple of Zeus (not the one Gus told Stace about). Then back to the gardens for another fetta and tomato roll (we stole a knife at breakfast). We went back to our room to get the cables for our cameras and to come to the internet place to update you all and shares pics but it is taking forever to load them! Tomorrow we are heading to the islands and starting with Mykonos! I can't wait to see the islands.. Tonight we are going out to have possibly Yuros for dinner and go on the balcony of our hotel to see the Acropolis at night (we tried staying up last night but were too tired and it was still light at 9pm!!).
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: Johnpro