Riding the Glacier Express the FREE way

Chur Travel Blog

Lugano to Chur Switzerland: 5/25/08

Today we took a bunch of very fun train rides up over some of the most beautiful terrain I have ever seen! There is a very famous line over here called The Glacier Express; it is run by a private rail company and is quite expensive to take. We found out that our rail pass would get us on a portion of this line and on a train that we could pull the windows down and stick our heads out to watch the passing landscape. Maybe when I am 70 and don’t feel like standing for hours with my head out the window feeling the cold wind against my face I will then take The Glacier Express.

So in this one day we left Lugano and palm trees, went through a mountain pass with snow and ice covered lakes, and then descended down through wildflower filled meadows next to a river. This by far was the best day on the trains!

We had heard that Chur had a big celebration going on for the opening of their new train station. So as soon as we walked out from the train station there was a band playing and thousands of people there to great us. I was quite taken back that Chur would give us such the red carpet treatment; and people say Americans are not liked over here in Europe ..Ha!

The hotel we are staying at for the next two nights is very nice. We are on the top floor with a commanding view through five windows of the mountain side and the church steeples throughout the city. I dropped off my bags and collapsed on to my bed for a few hours. It was a long day of train riding! After dragging myself out of bed and down to the city all the festivities had come to an end. So with a quick walk around the city we decided to watch a movie on my laptop; watched Motorcycle Diaries.

It is so nice knowing that I don’t need to wake up in the morning, grab my pack and jump on a train!

Tomorrow is a free day and we will be heading over to the country Liechtenstein .

photo by: hellenica