Liechtenstein & The UEFA Cup

Vaduz Travel Blog

Liechtenstein Day Trip: 5/26/08

Being so close to such a small country I just had to take a day trip to see the capital Vaduz . Liechtenstein is the sixth-smallest independent nation in the world, by land area; the five independent countries smaller than Liechtenstein are Vatican City , Monaco , Nauru , Tuvalu , and San Marino . To get to Vaduz we take a quick train ride to Buchs Switzerland then jump on a Liechtenstein bus. It was a short 15 minute ride from the station to downtown Vaduz . We did not even notice the Liechtenstein sign as we crossed the river into the country; it was that short of a ride. The city of Vaduz is very small and very clean! With only 5,248 people calling it home how could it not be? Perched up on the hilltop overlooking the city is the Schloss Vaduz. It is the official residence of the royal family and can not be toured. Vaduz has several interesting modern structures and the city has a very artsy feel to it. While picking up a Swiss Euro 2008 team scarf, the guy working in the store mentioned that the UEFA European Football Championship Cup was across the street on display. I walked over to see it and got a few pictures of it and one of me standing next to it. I was kicking myself for not having my RCB scarf with me to have taken a pic with the RCB scarf and the Cup. After spending the afternoon in Vaduz we headed back to Chur. Add another country to my list; this was the third new country I have been to on this trip, Italy , Vatican City , and now Liechtenstein .

photo by: cimtech