Co"PIN"hagen

Malmo Travel Blog

Copenhagen Denmark to Malmo Sweden: 6/1/08

Last night was just like sleeping in a train yard. Oh wait I basically did sleep in a train yard! Around 02:00 I was woken by a train thundering down the track just feet away from the window. I just about jumped out of my bed; I had no idea where I was at first and what was going on. My first thoughts were I was either in an earthquake or the Luftwaffe was bombing the city. I then realized that it was a train and that I was not in any immediate danger unless one of the train cars comes rolling through the wall.

Again around 07:00 I was woken by another train, this time it was not on the tracks closest to the window.

Today was spent touring Copenhagen ; we went out on a canal boat tour that took us down the canals and out into the harbor. While sitting in the boat waiting for the tour to start Dave notices two guys doing something weird up on the dock. One of them hands the other money then he leans over and snorts something off the dock right in front of everyone. I could not believe I was seeing someone doing coke out in the open like this! An hour later when we pulled back into dock these two guys were fighting!

The boat tour also goes through a part of town known as Christiania ; it is basically a hippie commune.

Christiania, also known as Freetown Christiania (Danish: Fristaden Christiania, Faroese: Frístaðurin Christiania) is a partially self-governing neighborhood of about 850 residents, covering 34 hectares ( 85 acres ) in the borough of Christianshavn in the Danish capital Copenhagen. Christiania has established semi-legal status as an independent community, but has been a source of controversy since its creation in a squatted military area in 1971. Its open cannabis trade was tolerated by authorities until 2004. Since then, measures for normalizing the legal status of the community have led to conflicts, and negotiations are ongoing.”

After the tour we watched the two guys fight over something drug related then walked a little further only to find three guys sitting on the ledge of the canal, one of them passed out leaning over the canal. His “friends” decided to have some fun with him and pulled his shorts down, stuck a cigarette in his butt cheeks, and a beer on top of his butt. This all taking place right in front of all the nice cafes along the canal; they were even telling people to take pictures of their buddy. “It’s ok, take a picture, he is more famous than the Little Mermaid!” Speaking of the Little Mermaid; we then headed back down to see the famous statue. When we went by it on the boat tour there was a bus load of Japanese tourists taking pictures and trying to crawl over the rocks to get closer to the statue. I had my camera ready to take a picture of one of them slipping on a wet rock and falling into the water.

“A statue of The Little Mermaid sits on a rock in the Copenhagen harbor at Langelinie. This small and unimposing statue is a Copenhagen icon and a major tourist attraction.”

After taking a few pictures of the statue we walked back to the hotel to collect our bags and head off to Malmo Sweden .

Funny thing happened while we were in Copenhagen , which Dave and I now refer to as Co”PIN” hagen . They must have the worst case of credit fraud or every credit card thief in the world calls this place home. When you try to use any CREDIT CARD you also have to type in a PIN code. Now this is alright if you are using a debit card but a standard Visa or American Express has NO BLOODY PIN!!! The cashiers look at you as if this is the FIRST time they have every encountered this problem. I ended up using my AMEX card a few times with no problems, but the third time would not be the charm. Leaving this place behind with all their PINS was very nice. We crossed the new bridge over into Sweden and are now in Malmo Sweden .

Tomorrow we are off to Stockholm Sweden .

Malmo