Picturesque Positano...Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Positano Travel Blog

Positano
It's hard to express in words how beautiful the small town of Positano truly is.  Seemingly clinging to the face of the cliffs, Positano's buildings gradually rise from the sea to the sky in vibrant colors.  It's this stunning, picture-perfect destination that draws photographers from around the world to immortalize its beauty, and lovers to stroll the romantic streets hand in hand.

I highly recommend arriving by boat.  I was in absolute awe as the ferry curved around the Amalfi Coast and Positano came into view and started to rise in the distance.  I must've taken a picture every five seconds as it seemed to only get more beautiful the closer we got.

Positano's surprising history includes its prosperity in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, to its struggle with poverty by the nineteenth century.
Positano
  It had become a poor fishing village with most of its residents emigrating to Australia.  It wasn't until the 1950's that Positano began to attract tourists and prosper once again, getting a big boost when Harper's Bazaar published John Steinbeck's essay "Positano Bites Deep".

The main attraction of Positano is, obviously, its view.  The way it is built makes for exhilerating vistas from virtually anywhere in the town.  Aside from that there is the beautiful domed Church of Santa Maria Assunta and many cute shops selling linens, custom made shoes, pottery and limoncello among other things.

Positano is one of the most unique and beautiful towns I have ever seen.  You simply must stop here during your trip to the Amalfi Coast!
hannah-lou says:
This is my dream spot in Italy, wish I'd made it there! Ohwell.. gives me a good excuse to go back ;)
Posted on: Mar 10, 2009
Boston_Babe says:
Yeah, we went by boat...it's amazing to approach it from the water. But your bus ride sounds like it was unforgettable, lol!
Posted on: Nov 25, 2008
Eric says:
Oh never mind you arrived by boat! I went here by bus, and it was a huge bus traveling along tiny, cliff-side roads. quite an experience!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2008