0171 Goodbye, USA (USA 098—new)

Mahanoy City Travel Blog

Heading back home and soon off to new adventures, I decide to squeeze in one more old coal town that I missed last week--Mahoney City.

Well, "city" is a bit of a misnomer, since Mahoney only has one street--but, a very, very LONG street--sandwiched between two hills and with endless rowhouses crammed together--gives the town an distinct character... And it seems that no two rowhouses were alike--each built a little bit different...

Once I walk almost the entire length of the "street" I head up the hill to hike along one of them blackened coal trails in the forest--even take a little clip there...

As I walk slowly back to my car, it strikes me that this might be the very last American town I parkbench in very, very long time.

It’s kind of funny… I’ve lived in this country for 8 years now.  For most of that time I felt very little interest in discovering and experiencing the towns and the culture of this region.  It’s like I never wanted to bond with this place, because I knew it would never be my home…

But now that I’m about to leave, my eyes are suddenly opened to see that there’s so much to be discovered around here—I almost wish I had a bit more time to experience a bit more... A couple more over the hill coal towns… a couple more classy Southern towns… a couple more gritty urban centers…

Maybe I’ll come back here someday, I don’t know.  All I know now is that the next time I wake up in Dream Mode, I will be somewhere in Morocco.

And that means it’s going to be a whole ‘nuther category of adventure.

End of My first full year since this adventure started

And so, it’s been one year  now since that fateful day when I found myself driving aimlessly down the road with a guitar and a camera.  Since that day I have explored and played music in 171 towns in 11 countries in 4 continents—more towns than many people discover in a lifetime.

But despite this achievement, there does seem to be a bit of a decline.  During this last semester I explored fewer towns and spent fewer hours on the road than the previous—in fact, especially in the last couple of months, I’ve just been “squeezing adventure life in the cracks”, sneaking out to discover the world in short little bursts.

Hopefully next semester I’ll pick up the pace a bit.  Hopefully this adventure will continue for a long, long time.

End of Episode 06… For Next USA adventures, go to Blog 2010A, Entry 0580