0165. Toy Soldier Depot (USA 092--new)

Milton Travel Blog

Next stop upriver is Milton.

Milton has a bit of a sprawl feel--but not in the bad sort of way, such as haphazard developments--folks here just want their residential neighborhoods to feel like "country".  So houses here are really spread apart with fields and green areas between them. Then you reach the small, cozy "downtown" there's a flowerly little park right on the river...

A store that catches my eye on Main Street is "Miniature Soldiers"--that's what it was... thousands of hand painted soldiers and action figures lining the shelves.  The fellow is a bit surprised to see me.

"I rarely have anyone walk in here" he said --"almost all my business is by mail"

He goes on to give me a glimpse into the world of miniature soldier collecting... Apparently adult hobbyists spend thousands of dollars to build up collections of hand painted soldiers of different ranks of the different wars.

"A lot of my customers are Germans--I have to be careful to cover up any swastikas on the soldier's uniforms--that stuff is illegal over there..."

Interesting hobby--but I think I'll stick to parkbenching...

I cross the bridge and entered the village of "East Milton"... I really want to do a separate parkbenching session there so I can jack up my "number of cities parkbenched"--but after wandering a bit, I know that would be cheating... East Milton just doesn't have enough character to merit a concert.

photo by: nathanphil