0160 The last 3 dollar Buffet (USA 087—new)

Shenandoah Travel Blog

I’m really tempted to stop in Ashland on my way through and visit the coal mine museum there--but I decide I need to keep up the pace... so I make my next stop in Shenandoah--another town surrounded by wooded hills and mountains of coal waste--and of course a gleaming onion dome in the center...

There’s a one block stretch of “Main Street” shops—where I manage to uncover perhaps the last 3 dollar all you can eat Chinese buffet in the country.  Not a lot of choices—but hey, it’s three dollars…

I notice some Latinos in town—which means there must be jobs around here somewhere… Latinos don’t generally move to towns with zero job opportunities.

Shenandoah, seems to have a bit of ongoing mining activity, but ironically, it's also the city with the most signs of decay.  In fact, after passing an old school building with every window broken and a couple of skeletons of burned buildings, it almost seems like there's been a riot here or something... Or maybe the kids just get bored.

Well, I did my part to provide them with a little entertainment in the park--then I hike up the hill to get a nice panoramic view of the region.

geokid says:
The coal mining museum is above average. You get a trip into a mine via a vintage low rider train.
Posted on: Oct 29, 2009