0154. A leftover prohibition town (USA 081--new)

Ocean City Travel Blog

After a couple of hours in Philadelphia, Camden and Trenton, I decide to finish my New Jersey parkbenching tour once and for all.  And I new the tour wouldn't be complete without a trip down to the coast to the sister cities Atlantic City and Ocean City.

Now, these two beach towns might look similar--they've both got beaches and long boardwalks with your typical ice cream, t-shirt and pizza shops--but these sisters have gone two very different ways.  Atlantic City was the "bad" sister that ran off with some guy and got involved in all sorts of vice.  Ocean City was the "good" sister that got married, stayed home and raised the kids...

As I a matter of fact, I didn't even see alcohol being sold anywhere in the entire city--in fact, as I found out later, it's prohibited to sell alcohol in Ocean City!  That's got to be rough on those French tourists I saw!  Imagine a French family having dinner with no wine!

Ocean City, with it's many little amusement parks and miniature golf lots is definitely the place for the kids.

.. in fact, as I walked the boardwalk I started feeling a little guilty that I didn't bring my wife and daughter... but family vacations and parkbenching don't really mix too well...

At eight o clock everything starts shutting down and the town started going to sleep.  Makes you wonder what everybody does all evening long when they’re here on vacation.

Let's head up across the bridge to Atlantic City... I'm sure people there don't go to bed at eight o'clock!

Ocean City